Saturday, April 4, 2020

1st Cocktail Party at Hospice House!

Thursday, April 2, 2020

This has been the best week of my life!

Everyone is so good to me and my room is beautiful.  Last night was my first night here. I asked for ice cream after 10pm and they immediately brought it.  It was strawberry too!  I broke up one of the Reese’s my boys included in my Christmas luggage and stirred it in.  It was delightful!  I slept so well. 

Today, was one of the best days of my life. I had a really good bath and my assistants scrubbed me from head to toe. Even between my toes!  You can’t imagine how good that felt. They took off all of the sticky pads adorning me as well as the radiation marks. Then they applied lotion all over.  Good smelling lotion!  My how I have missed that. My husband John is allergic to scented things and I have not worn scented lotion or perfume in 39 years!  My sweet boys bought that lotion and had it in my Christmas bag too!  I never knew they even paid attention to such small details of things I liked or enjoy. Who does that?

This place is beautiful!  I have two large French doors and a patio!  The patio is surrounded by 8ft hedge and I can be rolled outside to feel the fresh air, watch the deer and birds. There are bird feeders all around the patio. 


Tonight I will write some notes that I want to before I settle in to sleep.  

Friday, April 

Well I wrote those notes last night. I was on such a roll I didn’t even go to sleep. The last one took a bit of time and rather lengthy it was really difficult but I did it!  

Today I had a REAL breakfast.  I was so hungry I planned to eat it all.  I requested no texts or calls because I planned to sleep after pulling my all nighter. 

I had so much fun today that I never went to sleep. This Bond girl is tough. I filled my hours getting to know my new Dream team staff here. I spent an hour this afternoon becoming acquainted with my social worker, Myriah. 

Myriah made my day!  She shared with me that I can have my evening cocktail!  I will give her my preferred libation and she will have my doctor check for contraindications with medicines. Once approved, my underground will deliver the stock which will be kept near by and all I have to do is press the call button then Voila - Susie is sipping something cold and satisfying. 

I have the skills to pick a great place to die!

This afternoon, Susie deputized me as a Bond girl!  My assignment was to connect with Myriah and provide her with the blog information. Facilities have strict guidelines so hopefully I completed my assignment successfully. I’m honored to be in Susie’s underground.  Susie asked what Bond girl name I choose. After research I think that will be Ruby Bartlett from “Her Majesty’s Secret Service”. I think that’s fitting.   Sherry - Susie’s Press Secretary/ AKA Ruby Bartlett


Saturday, April 4, 2020

My cocktail bar is being set up.  I had another fabulous bath today but I was covered with hair and my lap was full.  It was like a light switch.  Off, I had hair.  Flip to on and well not so much!  My debut is a little delayed as my hair is 50% gone.  The good thing is that my earrings match my cap - which match one of my purple suitcase nightshirts from my kids. Now I am doing make up and you will see a venue shot tonight!

I have not looked in the mirror but my crown of glory is not a handful of hair!
(Susie says your hair being your crown of glory is the stupidest statement she has heard. Susie never settles for something as simple as hair.  We know she would accept nothing less than the real deal?)

7:30pm Central 
First Cocktail Party!



Underground network is up and running.  Photo Credits to Rosemary of Susie’s Dream Team - Collierville. 

The cocktail party was planned, created and executed by recliner bound Susie Sullivan. 

Susie, the honoree was adorned in a beautiful nightshirt from her purple suitcase that was affectionately selected by her sons Jack and Frank.  She wore matching earrings and was covered from the waist down with a vintage trailer lap quilt. 

The libation was a doctor approved, precisely measured 1 ounce pour of Susie’s favorite, Woodford Reserve served in her required, Waterford Crystal High ball vessel gifted by Barbara Sullivan, the first Dream Team - Collierville member.  Susie’s niece, Mary Kathleen wanted in on the assignment and provided the adorable cocktail napkins to become the 2nd Dream Team - Collierville member.  What Bond girl names do you ladies choose?

The decor consisted of a lovely table covered with the signed quilt gifted to Susie by her SOTF friends (Smoky Mountain Division,) yellow tulips from Susie’s High School Senior Class of 1970 at St. Agnes Academy, in honor of their 50th class reunion which is scheduled for April but likely will not take place due to the COVID-19 virus pandemic.  The class was going to re-enact their Hall of Fame.  Susie’s role was Friendliest.  However; the card, names and yellow tulips while in Lucid Lockdown are much more fun.  There are roses from Susie’s sons Jack and Frank as well as a mixed bouquet from Tricia who Susie has known since 1967.  Tricia actually lives 15 minutes from Susie’s new home. 

The entertainment was background music from Motown with the inaugural tune being Love Train by the O’Jays (licensing forbids adding the music so please hum along or pull it up on your favorite device as you read). Susie sang along while laughing and swinging her arms and shoulders.  Her blue eyes have never been bluer!  

Susie had to sip and wait patiently for the nurse to move a large arrangement of flowers on her table in order for Rosemary to take this beautiful picture. (I cannot stand so dammit, I’m stalled).  As mentioned earlier, Susie managed to do all of this except move the very large arrangement to the serving table. Susie will sleep well with a big smile tonight!  

One of the things I learned about Susie while serving as press secretary / Bond girl Ruby Bartlet of  “Her Majesty’s Secret Service “ is that Susie’s college major was journalism!  Throughout the posts of this blog Susie has exclaimed her happiness with my writing.  I had no clue that compliment was coming from a journalism major!  Susie asked me today what the stats are for the blog views. I shared that from 3/28 to today, there have been 2.9K views of this blog. Susie replied:  WTF, you are an amazing writer. My response is nope, YOU are an amazing subject!

Susie shared with me that she got tired of writing 5 page stories about weddings in Jackson, MS. Her BFF Rebecca shared that Susie used to say she was tired of  going to luncheons with little old ladies where they serve creamed chicken on toast. I told Susie that this post would make her crave creamed chicken on toast.  Susie kindly replied:

No Way!  At my childhood home that was called shit on a shingle by my dad. He named it that in 1960 and called it that until he died in 2010. We had 50 years of weekly toasted shit!

Sleep well with a big smile Susie, we can’t wait to hear about you adventures tomorrow. 

Honoring a beautiful lady - Arrangements

On May 31, 2020, Susie succumbed to a fast growing metastatic cancer that was diagnosed in mid-March.  Susie was born to Wayn...