Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Different Kind of Easter Blessing

Words from Susie’s BFF Rebecca......

Susie is doing well.  She said the nurse was able to get her comfortable and she was able to rest.

In typical Susie fashion, she asked me to post how my family and I are celebrating Easter while observing social distancing.

Although I live within one hour of both of my children, we are no longer visiting in person.  Being apart from the “big” kids is difficult, but not being able to hug and love on the little guys hurts.  Being a Gigi during a pandemic is challenging.

In our family, the kitchen has always been the most important room in our home.  My father-in-law was a chef, my husband wooed me when we were dating by preparing delicious meals for me, and I have always loved to cook.  Both of our children are skilled in the kitchen and enjoy cooking as well.

My husband and I were planning a magnificent Easter dinner.  Patricia Wells’ leg of lamb roasted on a bed of rosemary, Jacques Pepin’s Gratin Dauphinois, marinated artichokes and mushrooms, sautéed asparagus, and Ina Garten’s Limoncello cheesecake.

Under different circumstances, our family would have gathered around the table to enjoy this meal with us, but since that isn’t possible, I sent the menu and recipes to my children.  Byron, our son, wanted to prepare it for his family.

It makes me happy to know his family will have a wonderful Easter celebration in their home and they will continue our family tradition of showing love by taking the time and effort to lovingly prepare an amazing meal for those those most important to you.

COVID may be keeping us physically apart, but we can still remain connected the way we always have, through great cuisine and wonderful dining experiences.  This is how our family is celebrating and we are grateful for the love we feel which transcends the miles between us.

Honoring a beautiful lady - Arrangements

On May 31, 2020, Susie succumbed to a fast growing metastatic cancer that was diagnosed in mid-March.  Susie was born to Wayn...