Sunday, March 29, 2020

Mental Health Day for Susie

Let’s face it. While we are all sharing in this beautiful story it’s not all unicorns and rainbows. Susie told me when her boys were young and had a difficult time with things at school, she would tell them
they could take a mental health day.

Susie is taking a mental health day today and has certainly earned it. She is turning off her phone to rest. She is so thankful for all of your cards, texts, messages in many ways, runners help and your love. So today I’m going to share how Susie found Sisters on the Fly (SOTF) and a bit of her adventures.  Enjoy the read, Sherry


Two years before planning to retire I decided to research women’s travel groups because my husband only likes to travel if it includes shooting something.  I found several groups on the internet but the one that really peaked my interest was Sisters on the Fly.  Their site included a video that said “Making Women into Girls” and that sounded like fun.  Many of the events are camping events.  They have badges and all!

Fast forward to 2016 when I became Sister #7173 on May 12.  Keep in mind that I had never camped in my life!

My first event was in June 2016 to Fireflies at Elkmont in the GSMNP. This was dry camping with no water or electricity. Hey that was no problem because I could do this. I went to the attic and pulled out the tent that my boys had used for boy scouts. Here is my first “rig”




I get there and have my tent all set up with air mattress and luggaloo (5 Gallon bucket with toilet seat and lid).  There are bears in those mountains, I was not going out at night!  I soon met the sisters beside me in their shiny silver trailers. They were putting out solar lights between them and told me they were lighting up Bambi Row. I said Bambi Row! Are we in Disney World?  The sister kindly explained that Bambi was the model of their trailers and they are Airstreams.  I had no idea what an Airstream was. They kindly invited me to join them for breakfast the next morning. 

I made it through my very first night of camping!  It was a little eventful with the air going out of my mattress. Have you ever squatted to sit on a 5 gallon bucket?  It’s pretty low and when you have bad knees you need a little traction to stand back up. As I stood back up, the bucket turned over spilling the contents all inside my tent and there I was rolling around in pee. That didn’t scare me away and I persisted. 

On Saturday we had a red, white and blue dress up party. I went to Dollar Tree and donned my finest dress up I could acquire. I really didn’t  know what to expect and I had no idea that these sisters would be wearing full regalia of petticoats, cowgirl hats and boots!




I survived the trip and went home to tell my husband and boys, “ I am going to buy a travel trailer,”. They questioned my decision and sanity but completely supported me.  My boys said, “you don’t have a tow hitch” and I said then I’ll get one. Any of my friends I told this to thought I was a bit crazy too. Regardless here is my 2nd Rig (Whitewater Retro) that I rolled into Elkmont with the next June for the fireflies event.  I had to use my husbands vehicle which suffered a few injuries along the way like when I knocked off one of the mirrors. 




And notice that I upped my game on the dress up party for the 2nd year too. 

I was blessed (and continue to be) with a group of sister angels who walked along side me and coached me on how to do things. There was a time one angel’s husband had to explain to me as I was ready to pull out that the coupler is supposed to go down onto the ball and lock on to tow. No one had ever told me that.  Here are pics of many of those angels....



That pretty blue and white  trailer was just too big for me so here is my final rig. Meet Scout. Scout is for sale now. Scout tows right down the road behind me and the Hoe (Tahoe) and I can't even see him back there. I’ve had to learn a few more things about towing like last year when leaving Elkmont a sister ran out to as I was pulling out to head home. She shouted “hey wait”, I didn’t remember to take the pin out that allows the tires to roll and was just dragging the tires!





The joy about SOTF is that we all lift up and encourage each other. I am a behind the scenes person but I love to pitch in and help with a good weekend party. I knew I would never be a Route 66 girl and travel cross country but I’m a great weekend camper and I can even give a little advice about camping and trailers now.   The things I have received from being a sister you cannot get on Netflix or buy from any store. You can’t get a quilt delivered and signed buy many of your sister family. We have a common bond that many of us have been through similar things. 

This is Sherry and I just want to share a few pics of the joy Susie has brought us in our friendship with her. 









Susie has had such a fun time coordinating a fun cocktail with the assistance of Bre Davis at our events such as a Lemondrop Martini, Santatinis, Margaritas and the fun entertainment of Little Ruthie and the Shot Sisters featuring Ruth Fostmeier, Donna Whaley and Penny Manning.
We sure love you Susie!
Happy Mental Health Day. Rest up!





Honoring a beautiful lady - Arrangements

On May 31, 2020, Susie succumbed to a fast growing metastatic cancer that was diagnosed in mid-March.  Susie was born to Wayn...