Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Christmas on April Fools Day!

Not even a joke!

Susie has been resting up for a really big day today!

She took flight today and moved to her next Lucid Lockdown Location!

NO JOKE!          TOOK FLIGHT!         BUCKET LIST! 


Frank ~ Susie ~ Jack


Susie’s Ambulance Drivers - we jammed to Motown LOUD


Ambulance Crew ~ Madison & John

Today, Susie moved to the Baptist Reynolds Hospice House in Collierville, TN near Memphis. Susie’s words below tell why she went 8 hours from Knoxville for her Hospice Residence. 

Susie’s family moved to Memphis when she was in 8th grade. She graduated from St Agnes Academy in Memphis.  Her husband, John graduated from Christian Brothers High School and went on to become a general dentist. Susie became a nurse and they married in 1981.   She still has family and many close friends in the Memphis area. 

Susie shared the words below with me and with Rebecca, her BFF of 40 years.  I had the pleasure of talking with Rebecca tonight.  She shared with me that while talking with Susie today, she heard a serenity in Susie’s voice that she has never heard in 40 years. Susie has a wit, wisdom and integrity that comes through anytime she is around her. I agree!

We love you Susie and had a few laughs discussing you and your strength!


Susie's face as she entered the property!

ON TO SUSIE’S WORDS...

In the Fall of 2019 I drove into the grounds of Baptist Reynolds Hospice House. This trip was to visit my father in law there. As I drove into the campus, there were woods with squirrels, birds and deer. It was such a beautiful place.  Since those trips to visit my father in law who has since passed away I have told my family numerous times I wanted to die there. This became a joke between us because I said it so many times. I never imagined some 6 months later I would be living here. 

This decision was partly driven by Lucid Lockdown.  Knowing my next steps I started to research inpatient Hospice facilities as I was planning my future path.  Because of the COVID-19 Lockdown at all medical facilities my family could not tour any facility to make sure it met my desires. Well, Susie is not going anywhere that I have not seen or my family cannot tour for me.  In addition, no matter where I am, my family cannot visit me because of the lockdowns. 

What was I thinking?  I had already said where I wanted to go several times and that was Baptist Reynolds Hospice House.  I had no doubt that I wanted to die here. I mean, they have squirrels, deer and patios the staff can roll me outside on!  

Where I am at this minute, nothing in the past will hold me back. Nothing will take the sparkle of the past Two weeks because I am moving forward. 

When I got this diagnosis exactly two weeks ago, I had to pause and breathe but I decided nothing would hold me back.  I knew that I could no longer help my sons who are both full time, single parents. I could no longer make fried chicken and be the fairy Godmother. I wanted my sons to see how to deal with things and be strong when life gets tough for them.  I want them to be able to say, “If mom could do what she did in those few weeks, I can do anything!”  I have seen in two weeks that my boys are already OK and they can do it. Jack and Frank could do no more for me than they did today!  They are more than OK. 

I still know I have to get through the knot hole before the end but it will be OK. 

Until my dying day, I will try to live in Grace and to be the example God wants me to be. I will never spend a moment second guessing anything or decision I made through this. The diagnosis was devastating but God never abandoned me. It has been freedom and total joy. Granted I am invalid and can’t walk but I can’t put into words the joy I feel and I never new how many people love me. 

Today was Christmas!

When I decided my next lockdown would be at Baptist Reynolds Hospice House a friend offered to fly me to my new destination because it is an 8 hour drive from Knoxville. I gladly accepted his offer and was so excited because I have never flown on a private plane and today was the day!

The boys made a late night run to Target and bought a duffel bag and purple suitcase then filled it with my night shirts and things they knew I liked including Reese’s, my favorite pillow case from home, note cards, my favorite pens, more night shirts. My boys know me!  They are Rockstars!

Here are some pictures of my new Lucid Lockdown Location and the address. Please keep the cards coming because they bring me much joy as I read every one. I am unable to write each of you back because that is now difficult too. I say from the bottom of my heart, words can never thank you for the love you have shown me.  I don’t know how long God will have me here but when the time comes, I will meet you at the Gate of Heaven!

Susie Sullivan - Resident
Baptist Reynolds Hospice House 
1520 W Poplar Ave
Collierville, TN 38017




Rebecca texted with Susie’s son Jack today that Susie said her sons are rockstars, Jack replied:

“Our Mom is a Rockstar and we are just her entourage!
Lots of people talk about being courageous but very few are actually courageous when met with adversity. I’m both proud and thankful to call one of those few my mom. 
She is facing a death sentence and instead of retreating, she is charging forward with an armor of love and compassion. Thank you for being you Mom!”




Thanks Susie for letting me be your press secretary during your Rockstar Rein in Lucid Lockdown. Love you much!  Sherry

To receive notification of new posts, click on the icon below choosing how to be notified. Facebook, Twitter, eMail etc.  Thanks for your Virtual Visit!  I share with Susie how many views (visits) she gets. 



Honoring a beautiful lady - Arrangements

On May 31, 2020, Susie succumbed to a fast growing metastatic cancer that was diagnosed in mid-March.  Susie was born to Wayn...